Victoria Sponge Cake
By Nick Heebditch, Mosimann's Executive Pastry Chef
(Makes 2 x 16cm sponges)
250 grams Soft Margarine
250 grams Caster Sugar
5 Medium Eggs
250 grams Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1. Set the oven at 170°C.
2. Grease the sponge tins and flour the sides, line the base with a circle of baking paper.
3. Cream the margarine and caster sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add the beaten egg a little at a time beating, well after each addition.
5. Add the flour and baking powder and fold in gently but quickly.
6. Spoon the mixture equally between the two sponge tins.
7. Place in the preheated oven and bake until golden and springy to the touch, (approximately 15-20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and place upside down for 5 minutes on a cooling wire before removing from the tins and allowing to cool completely.
Butter Cream Ingredients
150g Soft Butter
180g Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp boiling water
Butter Cream Method
1. Cream the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until soft and light.
2. Add the boiling water and continue beating until light and fluffy.
3. Sandwich the two cakes with the buttercream and your choice of red jam.
4. Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar. Enjoy!